Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pediatric Dermatologist Visit

When Cooper was born, he got pretty banged up on his journey out.  He had a bruise on his forehead, cheek, arm, and thigh.  After a few days, all of them went away except for the one on his arm.  At his two month doctor's appointment, she said that she just wanted to give it some more time to see if it went away.  When it was still there at his six month doctor's appointment, she referred us to a pediatric dermatologist in Thomasville.  Basically, she wasn't extremely worried about it, but she also didn't know WHAT it was.

I scheduled the appointment for my Spring Break so that I wouldn't have to take off school to go.  On Wednesday of my Spring Break, my mom and I headed to Thomasville for Cooper's appointment.  His appointment was schedule for 9:45 (right in the middle of nap!  yay!), and he did great on the ride down there.

Here's a video of Cooper laughing at Gigi on the way there.

He did get a little cat nap on the way there.

When we got there, we had to fill out the paperwork and wait for just a few minutes, but it really wasn't long at all.  Once we got back to the room, it was seriously only about 5 minutes until the doctor got back there.

Waiting for the doctor

She looked at his arm for just a minute and almost immediately started telling us what it was.  I don't remember a lot of the verbiage that she used, but basically, this is just like a stork bite, but it's on his arm instead of the back of his neck (where they usually are).  She said that *sometimes* it can be an indication of a syndrome, but that usually the arm is way bigger or way smaller than it should be (Cooper's is fine), or that when you feel it, it feels like there are bumps under the skin (Cooper doesn't have that).

I asked her if it would be there for forever, and she said yes.  She said that there is a laser treatment that we could do to get rid of it, but we wouldn't do that unless he wanted it gone when he was older.  Sometimes, it looks like it's a little dented in, too, but she said that it wasn't at all.  That we probably just pay more attention to it because the color is there.

She made us an appointment to come back in January to check it again.  She said that if it starts growing or changing, to call her and we would go back sooner.  She doesn't think it will change at all, but she wants to check it again just to be sure.

All in all, it was a super quick visit.  It took us longer to get there than the appointment took.  While we weren't overly concerned about it, I am so happy to just KNOW that my boy is super healthy and that nothing is wrong!

1 comment:

Anna & Kirby said...

Great news!! Thank goodness for quick, happy appointments!