This past Tuesday I had my 38 week check-up. I didn't actually turn 38 weeks until Wednesday, but this was just how their scheduling fell. If you remember from my 37 week appointment, I was 3-4 cm dilated, 50% effaced, and he was at a -2 station. Our goal for the past week was to get me to 4-5 cm because she said that she would then be able to just send me in to have him.
Let me tell you - we worked our behinds off this past week trying to make this happen. We walked (tons) until it hurt, I bounced on the exercise ball, I ate pineapple until it made me feel sick, we tried pressure points. I felt like my evenings were consumed with trying to either go into labor or make myself dilate.
My appointment on Tuesday was at 2:10. Let me tell you - that was a MISTAKE! Waiting that long in the day was a killer. Around lunch time, I started to notice that I was having Braxton Hicks almost one on top of each other. I also started to notice that, while they didn't hurt, they were coming with tons of pressure and making me super uncomfortable. I was at Grammy's house and she said she totally thought I was in labor. I started texting Emily to see what she thought and she said the same thing. I started getting really nervous/excited, but decided to wait it out until my appointment at Southern OB just in case.
We got there at about 1:45ish and they got me back to the back waiting room pretty quickly. Once I got back there, it seemed like I had to wait for FOREVER to get my vitals done. I ended up losing a pound from last week (according to their scale), and my blood pressure was good (128/79). That's a little high for me, but not high for them.
I had to go back and wait in the waiting room for another 10 - 15 minutes before finally getting back to see Marie. The first thing she said when she came in was, "Well - I thought I'd be seeing you before today!". She checked his heartbeat and it was nice and strong in the 140's. Then came the bad news. She checked me and said that I had no change from last week. I was still 3-4 cm, 50%, and -2. This is honestly the WORST news that she could have told me. This was my biggest worry was that I wouldn't change at all. And I didn't. What was even worse was that I felt like we had done so much to try and make sure that my body progressed over the past week. I guess this just goes to show that nothing you do can really make you go faster - it's really up to your body and God.
Since I didn't have any change, she obviously wasn't going to send me to the hospital like we had hoped. Now we had to come up with a new plan. I go in on Monday for another growth ultrasound to see how big he is. Once the ultrasound is done, Marie will look at it and go talk to Dr. Clifton. Both she and Dr. Clifton are on call on Wednesday. If he's already 10ish pounds, I'm sure they'll talk to me about a c-section (she didn't say that, but it's what was implied). If he's not *quite* as big, I'm sure that she'll talk to me about induction on Wednesday. Since I'll be 39 weeks on Wednesday, she can induce me without a "medical" reason (remember - a big baby is not considered a "medical" reason). She never said any of this in these specific words, but it was what was implied. I did point blank ask her if we would be having him next week and she said yes.
So now we're just playing the waiting game. I scheduled my appointment for early Monday morning (9:15) because waiting all day drove me NUTS this week. The plan is that we should HAVE a plan by the time I leave the office on Monday.
Please just pray with us that everything with Baby C is healthy and that we can all (us, Marie, the doctors, etc.) make the best decision for him. I've said it before - I don't WANT a c-section. But I also don't want him getting stuck in the birth canal. Please just pray for the wisdom to know what to do and for all of us (including me!) to have the best interest of Baby C at the front of our minds!!