Thursday, August 5, 2010

Daytona Beach - Day 1

Matt and I have been wanting to take Lorelai to the beach for awhile (she's never been!) and we thought that it would be mega fun to go on a vacation with the Parker's since they go allllll the time AND they travel mega-cheep.  :)  Awhile ago we started talking to them about it and we decided to go to Daytona through one of the Parker's time-share deals. 

We left on Friday right at nap time in the hopes that the kids would sleep most of the way there.  We did take separate cars (duh - there's NO WAY we'd all fit in one!) but the kid's nap times are close enough that we figured it would work out well.  We left Valdosta about 11:45 ish and got to the hotel about 3.  LL only slept for about an hour on the way there, but it was enough to keep her a happy camper.  We decided when we got there to just get everything unpacked and then get ready to go to dinner and postpone the beach until the next day.

We drove to this neat boardwalk on the beach type place for dinner at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company.  Matt and I had never been to one before and we had heard GREAT things about them, so we were really excited.

Cool bridge/walkway over the street

I got a crab-stuffed shrimp and it seriously was the BEST shrimp that I have ever eaten.  Bubba Gump Shrimp was really expensive, but it was soooo worth it. 

We weren't super pumped about them sitting next to each other (really?  two toddles eating within inches of eachother?), but they actually did really well and it was pretty cute for pictures.  :)

The best shrimp EVER!

After dinner we walked outside to this outside boardwalk/pavilion area where we could let the kids run around for a little bit.  This is also when LL saw the beach for the first time!  We didn't take her down into the sand, but she did get to look at it.  LL and Kye had a great time running around and we had an opportunity to try and take some family pictures.

Lorelai's first glimpse at the ocean!

Running like a crazy girl!

Family pictures

After dinner we headed back to put the kids in bed.  I was really nervous as to how LL would do.  We've been having some issues with bedtime since LL jumped/fell/climbed out of her crib, AND she never sleeps in her pack-n-play.  2 negatives.  Well, she surprised us all!  She did SOOOO good!  I couldn't have asked her to do better! 

She usually sleeps in total darkness in her room, but I just left one lamp on since the rest of us were still awake, and she did fine.  Then, when Matt and I went to bed we just turned it off and all was well.  Once both Kye and LL were asleep, Emily headed over to our room (they brought a monitor for Kye) and we just hung out and talked while the boys walked across the street to get us ice cream.  When they got back, we played Uno until we were all tired.  It was fun, but pretty hard to keep everything at a whisper so that we didn't wake LL up.

Yummy Ice-Cream


It was a great day, but Matt and I were really looking forward to taking LL to the beach the next day!


Erin said...

Sounds like everybody had a GREAT time! I'm so jealous. We didn't make it to the beach this year. Your dress is SUPER cute! Where did you get it?

Emily said...

we're gonna have matching blog entries for a few days!!! :) BTW I second what Erin said...I love the dress too and Zach totally wants me to find one like it!